Monday, April 20, 2009

Not Guility (I swear, I didn't know I was doing it)


I spend a lot of time on the phone with people I will never see face-to-face. I sometimes talk to the same people over and over again. I enjoy talking to some of these people a lot because they are funny. They don't take themselves so seriously. They appreciate that I am working my ass off to get their lease/tax/legal issue resolved.
I spent a lot of time in the last couple of months working out a lease for a single office for one of the satellite folks. He was very fun and started calling quite often. He also started calling my crackberry. I didn't really think much about it. He always had a legitimate work reason to call. Just chalked it up to a nice, funny guy.
Today he showed up in my office. (Apparently in town for some meetings) And then asked me out. AWKWARD! Apparently I had been flirting with him? How do I know this you ask? He told me that when I hesitated to accept his invitation...ie "well we'd be flirting so much back and forth on the phone I thought you'd like to go out"

As an attorney I do not believe I can be culpable as I didn't form the requisite mental state for flirting. There was no intention of flirting. So, arguably, the actus reus is present but the mens rea is absent so I cannot be guilty!

2 comments:

  1. Guys think anything that bothers to tell them to Have a Nice Day is flirting with them. You just had the misfortune of this one being interested and available and obviously on the hunt.

    ReplyDelete